Here are just a few of the numerous honors and awards Vallecitos facilities, programs and staff members have earned over the years:
- 2016 District of Distinction accreditation from the Special District Leadership Foundation. Vallecitos is one of only 28 special districts, out of over 2,000 within the State of California, to obtain the "District of Distinction" recognition.)
- 2016 and 2014 District Transparency Certificate of Excellence from the Special District Leadership Foundation for outstanding efforts to promote a transparent, well governed public agency.
Meadowlark Water Reclamation Facility
- 2008 Recycled Water Agency of the Year at the WateReuse Association's 2009 California Section Annual Conference, attributed in part to the upgrade that took place between 2005- 2008 that more than doubled output capacity from 2.25 to 5.0 million gallons per day.
Linda Vista East Sewer Project
- 2016 Project of the Year from American Water Works Association San Diego – Imperial Counties Chapter.
- 2016 Award of Merit Civil Engineering Project from The American Society of Civil Engineers San Diego Section.
San Elijo Hills Pump Station
- 2016 Engineering Excellence Merit Award
by American Council of Engineering Companies.
- 2010 Engineering Excellence Merit Award
by American Council of Engineering Companies.
- December, 2009 Clean/Green Technology Nominee
by the San Marcos Chamber of Commerce, San Diego North Economic Development Council.
Project Achievement Award presented by the Construction Management Association of America (San Diego Public Works).
- 2008 Project of the Year in the State of California for the 40 Million Gallon Twin Oaks Reservoir No. 2 by ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers) Section 9.
- 2008 Excellence in Engineering Awards Program for Special Use Structures for the 40 Million Twin Oaks Reservoir No. 2 awarded by the Structural Engineers Association of California.
- 2007 Outstanding Civil Engineering Project for the 40 million Twin Oaks Reservoir No. 2 from the San Diego Section of American Society of Civil Engineers.
- 2007 – Big Tank Award- Twin Oaks Reservoir No. 2 from the San Diego International Chapter of American Concrete Institute.
- 2004 Project of the Year in the State of California for the 40 million gallon Twin Oaks Reservoir No. 2 by ASCE.
North San Diego Water Reuse Coalition
- 2016 Golden Watchdog Finalist from the San Diego County Taxpayers Association for expanding water reuse in North County. (Vallecitos is one of ten water and wastewater agencies that form this coalition.)
- 2005 Project of the Year for slipline underneath Interstate 5 presented by the American Public Works Association San Diego Imperial Counties Chapter.
Solar Port Project
- 2008 Excellence in Energy Conservation by the SDGE Sempra Energy Company “Go Green Save Green” for leadership and participating in the region’s demand response programs which are designed to conserve energy resources and maintain energy reliability.
- 2005 50 Years of Service to the Water Industry for 50 years of support of the programs and goals of the American Water Works Association.
Education and Outreach
- 2014 Excellence in Communications - Award of Merit for Special Innovation by the California Association of Public Information Officials for the District's innovative "Water Academy" tour.
- 2013 Recycled Water Community Outreach and Public Education Program of the Year by the California WateReuse Assocation, recognizing the District's "Water Academy" tour.
- 2013 Partners in Education Award from the City of San Marcos, in appreciation for continued support of the outdoor education programs at Jack's Pond Park Nature Center from 2005-2013.
- 2012 Golden Watchdog Finalist from San Diego County Taxpayers Association for Public/Private Partnership with the City of San Marcos and Bushman USA, which enabled Vallecitos and the City to distribute 100 free rain barrels to San Marcos residents to conserve water and reduce storm water pollution.
- 2008 Outstanding Outreach Participation by recognition for outreach participant as the top agency in the Association of California Water Agencies’ Region 10 Building Relationships Achieving Results Leadership Advocacy Information.
- 2008 Orchid Award - The District's Administrative offices won this award which honors the best of San Diego County's planned and built environments.
- 2005 Safety Award - presented to management and employees in recognition of safety achievement from American Water
Sustainable Demonstration Garden
- 2013 - Certified as a Wildlife Habitat by the National Wildlife Federation which recognized the garden as an established and maintained official wildlife habitat.
- 2013 - Certified as an Earth Friendly Garden by the San Diego Master Gardeners Association for fulfilling the principles of landscape sustainability.