At Vallecitos, the health and safety of our community is our top priority. In order to minimize exposure and slow the spread of COVID-19, the District's lobby is closed to the public. Customers may still interact with Vallecitos staff via phone at (760) 744-0460 or by email.

  • Water bills can be paid in a variety of ways that do not involve visiting District offices, such as online billing or using our drop-box outside. 
    Learn more about payment options...
  • Water safety remains unaffected so customers can continue to use and drink water from their tap as usual.  Learn more...
  • Board of Directors meetings will be teleconferenced until further notice. Learn more...


Pressure Regulator Information

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Household Water Pressure Regulators
Questions and Answers


reg_cutawayQ: What is the function of a water pressure regulator?

A: A household water pressure regulator reduces the water pressure from the public water main to a pressure that is usable by the customer and compatible with normal household plumbing and fixtures. It also prevents pressure surges from entering the household plumbing from the public main. High water pressure can result in dripping faucets and water pipes, and it can damage appliances.

Q: How does a pressure regulator work?

A: A pressure regulator is a spring-loaded valve that regulates pressure on the downstream (house) side of the valve. Altering the degree of spring compression changes the downstream pressure.

Q: Who is responsible for installing and maintaining the pressure regulator?

A: The property owner is responsible for installing and maintaining the pressure regulator.

Q: Where should the pressure regulator be installed?

A: On new installations, the pressure regulator is usually installed downstream, (on the house side) of the water meter, near the house.

Q: How do I know if the pressure regulator is working?

A: There are a few ways to ensure proper regulator operation. One option is installing a gauge on both sides of the regulator. If the upstream reads higher than the downstream house side gauge, then the regulator is working properly. If there are no gauges, you might notice symptoms of pressure malfunction, which include “clanging” or “rattling” of pipes when plumbing fixtures are in use.

Q: Can I adjust and repair my pressure regulator?

A: Yes. A homeowner or plumber can accomplish this by consulting the pressure regulator manufacturer’s instructions. The adjustment mechanism is usually a screw on top of the regulator. Turning this screw changes the degree of spring compression. Generally, turning the screw clockwise increases house water pressure and turning the screw counter-clockwise reduces house pressure. Repair kits for rebuilding pressure regulators are usually available from the manufacturer. The assistance of a licensed plumber for pressure regulator installation and maintenance is recommended.

Q: To what pressure should I adjust my pressure regulator?

A: Most homeowners set their pressure at approximately 50 pounds per square inch (psi), but it’s mostly a matter of owner preference. However, lower settings will help conserve water and the life of plumbing fixtures.

Q: Are pressure regulators required?

A: Yes, Section 608.2 Excessive Water Pressure of the Uniform Plumbing Code requires pressure regulators with a strainer whenever the static water pressure from the supply piping exceeds 80 psi. They are especially valuable in controlling surges that may occur in the public supply.

Q: Are pressure regulators necessary if the pressure at the public main is naturally low or moderate?

A: Yes. There are a couple of reasons: 1.) Most public water mains are supplied by pumps or pressure-reducing valves. This equipment may produce temporary high pressure surges, which can be transmitted to household plumbing. A properly operating household pressure regulator will help prevent these surges from entering your plumbing. 2.) Your water provider may increase the pressure in the main that supplies your house.