At Vallecitos, the health and safety of our community is our top priority. In order to minimize exposure and slow the spread of COVID-19, the District's lobby is closed to the public. Customers may still interact with Vallecitos staff via phone at (760) 744-0460 or by email.

  • Water bills can be paid in a variety of ways that do not involve visiting District offices, such as online billing or using our drop-box outside. 
    Learn more about payment options...
  • Water safety remains unaffected so customers can continue to use and drink water from their tap as usual.  Learn more...
  • Board of Directors meetings will be teleconferenced until further notice. Learn more...


Water and Sewer Services

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Vallecitos Water District provides water, wastewater, and reclamation services to San Marcos; parts of Carlsbad, Escondido, Vista and other unincorporated areas in north San Diego County. Existing Single Family Residential properties in our sphere of influence that are interested in establishing new services or in changing existing services with Vallecitos Water District can be helped through the Engineering Department.

Water and Sewer Services
In order to connect to Vallecitos Water District services a water and/or sewer main must be available at the frontage of the property. If a main is not available the property owner may be required to extend the current facilities to the property frontage in order to service the property. The extension of the line and associated costs would be the responsibility of the property owner. One meter shall not serve more than one APN. One sewer lateral shall not serve more than one APN. A minimum meter size of 3/4" is necessary to meet fire flow for fire sprinklers. Commercial projects may be required to have a separate irrigation meter with a back flow device and a separate domestic meter for service to the property. All back flow devices will be tested annually. A site review may conclude the need for a device upgrade.

Water metering is the process of measuring water use.

Water meters are used to measure the volume of water use by District customers that are supplied with water by a public water supply system. Water meters can also be used throughout a water system to determine flow through a particular portion of the system. Some electronic meter registers can display rate-of-flow in addition to total usage. Vallecitos Water District meters measure usage in units. 1 unit equals 748 gallons. The majority of the District meters today are also equipped with an electronic meter reading device called a MXU. This unit is affixed to the top of the meter and provides the District with radio read capabilities.

There are several types of water meters in common use. The choice depends on the flow measurement method, the type of end user, the required flow rates, and accuracy requirements. Vallecitos Water District uses water meters for both Domestic usage and Irrigation usage. Domestic usage is typically within a structure. The water used through a Domestic meter may require wastewater treatment. Irrigation usage is typically outside of the structure and includes landscape and agricultural and typically does not require wastewater treatment. Vallecitos Water District policy requires a separate domestic and irrigation meter for commercial properties.

District policy also requires a separate water meter and sewer lateral connection for each premise. This policy is outlined in District Ordinance No. 49 - Water and District Ordinance No. 65 - Sewer.

Detector Check Assembly and Backflow Prevention Devices (District approval required for all devices)

A double check valve or double check detector assembly (DCDA) is a backflow prevention device designed to protect water supplies from contamination. It consists of two check valves assembled in series. This employs two operating principles: one check valve will still act, even if the other is jammed wide open. Secondly the closure of one valve reduces the pressure differential across the other, allowing a more reliable seal and avoiding even minor leakage.

Small valves may be so compact as to be barely noticeable, particularly when they are integrated into the bodies of existing taps (faucets). Larger check valves may be installed with ball valves at the ends, for isolation and testing. Often, test cocks (very small ball valves) are in place to attach test equipment for evaluating whether the double check assembly is still functional.

The double check valve assembly is suitable for prevention of back pressure and back siphonage, but is not suitable for high hazard applications. It is commonly used on lawn irrigation, fire sprinkler and combi-boiler systems. If the hazard is higher, even a relatively low hazard such as using antifreeze in the fire sprinkler system, then a more reliable check valve such as a reduced pressure detector assembly (RPDA) may be mandated.

All backflow devices have an annual testing requirement with a District approved certified backflow tester. The District may require the upgrade or replacement of a backflow device per District Ordinance No. 204 - Backflow. District approval is required for all new installs and replacement back flow devices including installation and materials.

Individual backflow prevention devices may also be required for residential properties as determined by the District. One example of a required use; a private well or graywater system installation.

Fire Hydrants

Fire Hydrant installations are regulated by the local Fire Protection Department. The fire department will determine if one or more hydrant locations are necessary for adequate fire protection. The Vallecitos Water District will plan check and inspect the installation of the hydrant. The hydrant flow test for fire protection is necessary to determine the NFPA 291 color coding requirement of the top of hydrant as required by the local Fire Protection Department. The Vallecitos Water District no longer performs field flow tests. Fire Flows are now calculated with hydraulic modeling. A Fire Flow Test can be requested by completing and submitting a FF worksheet, a map with the hydrant location, the requested fire flow in gpm (gallons per minute) and the appropriate fees per the current Engineering Fee/Rate Ordinance. Submit to the Vallecitos Water District – Engineering Department located at 201 Vallecitos de Oro, San Marcos, CA  92069 in person or by mail.

Reimbursement Agreement

If a property owner finances the extension of the main line to service the property and this line could service additional parcels in the future, a reimbursement agreement may be executed. This agreement would associate a payback option for future connections.

Water Meter Installation and Sewer Lateral Connection
If the property has never had a meter installed, and a main line connection is available on the property frontage, engineering can provide property owner with the associated fees and requirements. A plan check for the connection must be submitted for review. Once plans are approved and fees are paid a meter can then be installed and/ or a service connection can be established. The property owner may hire a private licensed contractor (Class A: General Engineering Contractor, C36: Plumbing Contractor or C42: Sanitation System Contractor) of their choice to install the services. An inspection deposit would be necessary for VWD to inspect the connection.

Vallecitos Water District maintains the water and sewer mains. Lines installed to service private properties are the responsibility of the property owner. These service lines do require periodic maintenance from the property owner. Properly maintained lines ensure functionality.

Upgrading Water Meter
If the property has an existing water meter and is required to upgrade, please contact the Engineering Department for the current meter size requirements and possible credits available. Meter size is determined by water demand.

Annexation and District Boundaries
If the property requesting service connections is not located in the service boundaries, owner may need to process an annexation  into the District. Water Boundary Map  and Sewer Boundary Map.

Fees and Deposits
The Engineering department assists the property owner and developer in determining the fees and/or deposits that may be applicable to the proposed project. Criteria used may include the size of project, type of development, current land use, proximity to existing facilities, open space and right of way designations or increased density. Properties larger than one acre may require additional computations.

 Water & Wastewater Capital Facility Fees  Engineering Rates and Fees
 San Diego County Water Authority Fees  Annexation Fees
 Inspection Deposit (page 4, section 3.1)  Capital Facility & Impact Fee Study


Tenant Improvements (TI)

Changes made to the interior of an existing commercial or industrial property by its owner typically to accommodate the needs of a  tenant such as floor and wall coverings, plumbing, ceilings, partitions, air conditioning, fire protection, and security. Tenant improvements require a comprehensive review by the District. The District will require a site plan review, on site capacity analysis for both water and sewer, meter sizing evaluation and property compliance with current backflow requirements. The lead agency will typically require a sign-off by the District to move forward on processing the TI project. A Tenant Improvement Review can be requested by completing and submitting a TI worksheet, a site plan, and the appropriate fees per the current Engineering Fee/Rate Ordinance.

Water Well, Septic and Graywater SystemsCounty of San Diego Department of Environmental Health

Vallecitos Water District does not regulate the digging of wells, the installation of septic systems or graywater systems. The District will however require a review of the proposed site for these facility installations. The review is necessary to check for conflicts and to prevent contamination of potable water supplies. Water wells and graywater systems typically require backflow protection regulated by the local water purveyor. A site plan including any easements and utility lines must be submitted to the District for approval prior to the County of San Diego issuance of a permit. All water wells and septic systems are regulated by the County of San Diego – Department of Environmental Health. Graywater systems are regulated by your local lead agency typically the City or County depending on the location of your property. Water wells and gray water systems typically require backflow protection regulated by the local water purveyor.

The Vallecitos Water District Engineering Department is located at 201 Vallecitos de Oro, San Marcos, CA  92069. . Additional information can be provided by calling 760-744-0460. Submittals for review can be mailed or brought into District offices. Allow sufficient time for the review of the project. Projects will be reviewed in the order they are received.