Regulations regarding food service establishments
Vallecitos Water District is required by state regulations to develop and implement a Fats, Oils and Grease (FOG) Control Program for food service establishments to reduce the discharge of FOG to the sanitary sewer. The District Board of Directors adopted Ordinance 191 on December 10, 2013 to assist food service establishments in controlling FOG by establishing a monitoring and inspection program.
Food service establishments can be a significant source of FOG because of the amount of grease and oil produced when cooking or preparing food. Without proper cleanup practices and maintenance of a grease removal device, such as a grease interceptor, food particles and FOG will flow to the sanitary sewer system. FOG can be significantly reduced by properly maintaining a grease removal device and implementing Best Management Practices (BMPs).
Resources available for food service establishments
- Fats, Oils and Grease Control Program Guidance Manual
- Best Management Practices Employee Training Log
- Waste Cooking Oil and FOG Disposal/Recycling Log
- Grease Removal Device Cleaning Log
- Grease Removal Device and Cooking Oil Recycling/Rendering List
- FOG Control Ordinance
- No Grease Poster (Free laminated posters available upon request)
- FOG Control Program Training video
For more information about the proper disposal of Fats, Oils and Grease, please contact Corey Harrell, Source Control Technician at firstname.lastname@example.org or (760) 752-7161. Thank you for helping protect the environment.